Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pick A Parrot!

I wish I could pick a parrot already. Okay, not THE parrot, although that would be nice too. I wish I could just pick a species! I am pretty active on one specific parrot forum, and I am quite sure that everyone there is absolutely sick and tired of me whining about the fact that, for the life of me, I cannot pick a species and stick to it!

At the very beginning, I was sure I wanted a Cockatiel. I read a book on Cockatiels, and then decided against one.

Then I found Marnie on YouTube. Marnie is a blue Indian Ringneck Parakeet. I decided I just had to have one like him!

Then I changed my mind again and decided a Green Cheeked Conure was right for me.

Then it was a Peach Faced Lovebird.

After that, I moved onto a Senegal.

After reading that Senegals were less docile than Meyer's, I was stuck on a Meyer's.

After reading that Meyer's were more like cats and Conures were more like dogs, I was back on a Green Cheeked Conure.

After deciding that Green Cheeked Conures were a bit too small for my taste, I decided a Blue Crowned Conure would suit me much better.

Then I visited a pet store in another city and saw a gorgeous Rose-Breasted Cockatoo. I was sure that this was way out of my league, but decided to do research on them anyway. I was stuck on a Galah (Rose-Breasted Cockatoo) for awhile, until...

...I discovered a Goffin's Cockatoo! But, after reading about how neurotic Cockatoos can be, I got a bit scared off of Cockatoos, and decided that...

...An Amazon parrot might be better for me. First, I went with the one I have heard of the most often. A Double Yellow Headed Amazon.

I then read that DYHAs are one of the "hot three" Amazons, so I decided to go with a Lilac-Crowned Amazon instead.

After widening my horizons a bit, I found that a Mealy Amazon would be pretty neat too.

I then went to another pet store and saw a Vasa Parrot there, and was stuck on those for a short while.

After the Vasa Parrot, I was back to flip-flopping between species again.

Then, just last week, I went into my local pet store and saw a beautiful Red-Lored Amazon. I had no clue they were so small! I was then stuck on Red-Loreds.

I then got to thinking about African Grey parrots, and thought one of those might be a great companion...


Which brings me to the present. Welcome back! Now, I usually am stuck on one species for an entire day, and then I wake up the next morning on the other side of the spectrum. One day, I decide that a Blue Crowned Conure is definitely the way to go. I just know I won't change my mind. The next morning, I'll wake up, go to brush my teeth, and think, "Hey! I think a Mealy Amazon is a much better choice!"

Alas, after doing all of my research on each individual species that I have ever been interested in, (because yes, I do that) I have decided that each bird is an individual, I keep reading that. So, I have decided to just try not to dwell on "species" so much as "bird." I want a parrot, we all know that much! So, I am going to ask the experienced people that I am visiting for their opinions of what species might best fit me. And, if after all of that, I still can't decide on a species... Why, then, I will just wait and let the bird pick me!

No comments:

Post a Comment