Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I Want A Parrot

I want a parrot.

This is all my friends and family have been listening to for the past year or so. I want a parrot, but I refuse to simply go out and purchase a parrot. Most people who want something go to the store and buy it (if they have the means, of course). Not me. When I decide I want something, whether it be a car, a bicycle, a book, a movie, lotion, or an animal, I never simply go out and buy it. Oh, no. I must read about it first. I must find every book on the subject at the library and at the book stores. I must travel distances to have experience first. I must look up reviews or otherwise research on the internet. I must, or I feel as though I may have made a bad decision.

Call me crazy, but I believe this is the proper way to do things. For instance, what would happen if you wanted a horse and just went out and bought it? Then what? How would you get it home? When you did get it home, where would you put it? What would you feed it? How would you groom it? Now, a horse is a bit of an extreme example because they are so large and, some would say, high maintenance. But why don't people think of hamsters in this way? How would you get a hamster home after your spur of the moment decision? You would probably pop it in a box and be on your way. But is this the proper way to transport a hamster? If you did your research before hand, you would find that a hamster can easily chew its way through a box. When you did get it home, where would you put it? You would probably put the hamster in a fish tank, or perhaps even a plastic hamster cage. If you did your research, you would find that a fish tank doesn't provide enough stimulation for a poor hamster. What would you feed it? I'm betting you would feed your hamster some type of hamster seed mix from the pet store. Or, worse yet, you would feed it some bread and water. If you had done your research, though, you would find that these things are not suitable for a hamster, no matter what the pet stores and T.V. commercials would have you believe.

Do you see what I mean? People make impulse decisions all of the time. It's really not a big deal when the impulse buy is on shoes or a blouse. But it is a big deal when the impulse buy is on an animal. An animal is a living, breathing creature. It is not a blouse that can be tossed in the trash or given to a friend when you find out it's not the right color, or perhaps it is too big. The worst part is that people usually impulse buy puppies at pet stores. The average person may not think too much of this. However; If one was to do the necessary research that should be done before acquiring a dog, they would learn that pet store puppies come from puppy mills. If you don't know what a puppy mill is, Google it.

Boy, have I gotten off topic. I'll probably do that from time to time. Anyway, I want a parrot. I decided I wanted a parrot about a year and a half ago. Since then, I've been reading up on them. I have joined multiple forums (some bad, some good), read too many books to count, read way too many websites to count, and have visited numerous pet stores to try and soak up as much experience as I can. I can almost guarantee that I have put in more research into parrots than half (or more) of the typical owners out there. And it's not a chore to me. No, not at all! I love it! I have more fun researching parrots than hanging out with friends. Not so typical of a nineteen year old, would you say?

Well, that brings me to another point. I don't like people. I won't get too much into this, maybe another day, or perhaps another blog. But I do not like people. I think it mostly comes from living around them. (Haha, just kidding) I really think it comes from working in animal rescue and seeing what people are capable of, and what they choose to do to "lesser" beings. I would much rather spend my time on the internet, by myself, or hanging out with my animals, my three dogs.

Which is why, like I said, I would rather read about parrots than hang out with friends or go to the mall. I would rather educate myself on something I am interested in than go and mindlessly (and aimlessly) walk around the mall for two hours.

I have been researching parrots for awhile now, and it has gotten to the point where everything textbook is boring to me. I have read everything when it comes to general knowledge, like what is written in most books. I have also done my research on specific species of parrots that I am interested in. I am now at the point where the only thing left to do is browse forums, ask questions, and visit rescues/stores/breeders. I am planning on visiting a man who raises babies soon, hopefully around the beginning of June. I am also scheduled to visit a man who raises parrots, falcons, hawks, and eagles! I am very excited for this trip, which is this weekend. I will update here after, hopefully with pictures! Other than those two sources, I visit a bird store that is about an hour away from where I live frequently. I try to go every weekend, but sometimes that is not possible, obviously, what with life getting in the way and all.

This blog will be about my journey. I believe the journey is all the fun, not the destination. So, this blog will be about my journey in researching parrots, and finally, hopefully, acquiring my lifelong companion. After I do acquire him or her, this blog will be about the journey through taming the parrot, training the parrot, and our lives together.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment